Marketing in the 21st century can seem really overwhelming at times. Every day there’s a new technology, a new way to talk about that technology, a new acronym, and a new expert. This is true. I’ve looked into it. On top of that, there are now all of these marketing junkies (like me) who like to really dig into the marrow of marketing. Fortunately, I figured out a way to filter all of this information into 20 extremely easy steps. If you can follow all of these rules, you are well on your way to becoming a marketing guru. By the way, purely by statistical happenstance, all of these rules are Twitterable. Tweeterable. Can be tweeted.
1. Be nice. You never know when you’re going to need that person.
2. Be authentic. Nobody falls for fake niceness.
3. Don’t let people think you are using them.
4. Connect to people with more influence than you.
5. Be right on top of the newest thing.
6. Be an expert in everything that has come before.
7. Hope you get complaints. Complaints are the new handshake greeting.
8. Strive for the best quality possible.
9. Be unique, just like everyone else.
10. Talk with freedom and from the heart.
11. Remember, anything you say in Social Media can and will be used against you.
12. Never say print is dead. That makes people think you don’t know about the Kindle or iPad.
13. Share as much information as you can.
14. Position yourself as a thought leader.
15. Be 100% honest at all times.
16. Compliment people and share their work as often as possible.
17. Listen to what all of the experts say.
18. Create your own way of doing things.
19. Prove that your efforts are working.
20. Never, ever try to sell anything!
Image credit: http://www.sxc.hu/profile/arte_ram